Life is a series of decisions. Our future is ultimately shaped by the decisions we make today.
If you habitually make poor decisions, your life will suffer.
And if you habitually make good decisions, your life will flourish.
One decision can change everything.
At least it did for me.
Looking back several years ago, I view my choice to become a successful entrepreneur as one of the key decisions of my life.
This one decision has radically altered the course of my life. Nowadays, one of my greatest passions is teaching others about the benefits of entrepreneurship.
In this article, I’m going to provide you with a Proven Road Map that can help you make the transition from employee to successful entrepreneur.
If you follow this step-by-step plan, you’ll be well on your way to becoming a top-earning entrepreneur, doing work you love, that makes a difference in the world.
1. Get Disturbed
This may look like an odd first step, but I assure you, it’s more than valid.
Let me explain…
People do things for two reasons.
Anything we do is either to avoid pain, or to gain pleasure.
Even though we are made up of complicated physiological and thought processes, we can be simplified down to creatures that live our entire lives trying to avoid painful experiences, and running towards pleasurable experiences.
To make the shift from employee to successful entrepreneur, your first action-step is to link massive pain to being an employee.
This is easy for most individuals to do. In fact, you may already feel this way about being an employee.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who are discontent with being an employee never decide to become an entrepreneur.
Here are the main reasons they remain stuck:
- Fear that they don’t have the skills they need.
- Fear that they don’t have the ability to learn the skills they’ll need.
- Fear of failure.
- Fear of people judging them.
- Fear of success.
- Fear of change.
- Fear of getting outside their comfort zone.
So as you can see, it’s not enough to link pain to being an employee. You also have to link ‘pleasure’ to being an entrepreneur.
2. Get Excited
According to research, less than half of US workers are satisfied with their jobs. However, most of these individuals never do anything about it.
They don’t link enough pleasure to becoming an entrepreneur.
It’s not enough to be discontent at work.
You also have to be EXCITED about working for yourself!!!
You have to be PASSIONATE about the idea that you can create products and/or services that add value to the marketplace.
You have to be PASSIONATE about helping people solve problems…because that’s what entrepreneurs do.
Most of all, you need to be so passionate about starting your own business that your passion greatly overrides your fear.
3. Start Thinking Like an Entrepreneur
Once you’ve wired your brain to associate pain to being an employee, and pleasure to being an entrepreneur, it’s time to create some new habits.
Here are the steps to get you started…
Success Habit 1:
- Buy a journal or notebook.
- Assign a special place in your home to be your study place for ‘entrepreneurship ideas.’
- For 15-30 minutes a day, sit in your study place and brainstorm business ideas.
- Try to come up with at least two new ideas for being an entrepreneur a day, and write these ideas down.
Success Habit 2:
- Purchase books on entrepreneurship.
- Find YouTube videos on entrepreneurship.
- Commit to feeding your mind this content a minimum of 15-30 minutes a day.
By adding these two simple habits to your life, you will eventually start thinking more and more like an entrepreneur.
The only way to get good at something is to practice doing it.
By spending a total of 30-60 minutes a day ‘thinking like an entrepreneur,’ it won’t be long before you’re ready to start your own business venture.
4. Find Your Target Customers
For you to become a successful entrepreneur, you’ll need to find a target market that you’re passionate about serving.
A target market is a group of consumers that you market your products and services to. Many beginners say their products and services are for everyone.
This is a big mistake.
One of the keys to becoming a successful entrepreneur is to ‘narrow your niche.’
Imagine that you’re holding a sniper rifle, and you’re zooming in to hit a very small target.
That’s the strategic approach you want to use when formulating your target market.
Here are the steps to get you on the right path:
- Find a group of consumers that have a specific problem or problems.
- Create a Customer Avatar that depicts your Ideal Customer. This Avatar includes your Target Customer’s demographics and psychographics.
- Innovate products and/or services that will help these consumers solve their problems.
- Market your products and/or services to your target customers.
5. Focus on Innovation & Marketing
Once you have done target market research and analysis, and have determined that serving this target market will create profits, you’ll need to focus on the enhancement of two main skills. Master these skills, and you’ll rise straight to the top.
Here are the two skills to continually improve:
- Innovation – The application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.
- Marketing – The activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large.
Steve Jobs was a master of innovation.
However, innovation alone is not enough to make you a successful entrepreneur.
You can have the best products and services in the world, but if you don’t also have extraordinary marketing, you will probably fail.
I’m here to tell you that often times products and services that are superior fail in business – because their competitors had better marketing.
Become a ‘Master of Innovation & Marketing’ and watch your business have radical growth and profits.
6. Enhance Skill Set & Mind Set
As you move forward and grow your business, you will find out that certain things can hold you back from achieving your goals. These are ‘choke holds’ on your business.
Choke holds are forces or influences that stop something from growing or developing.
The two main choke holds on your business growth are:
- Your skill set
- Your psychology
If you don’t have all of the right skills, you need to either learn the skills, or hire someone that has the skills. These skills are important, however, they really only attribute to approximately 20% of your success.
The other 80% comes from your mind set…your psychology.
There are plenty of individuals that have the intelligence and skills to become successful. However, they lack the mental and emotional strength to be successful on the ‘entrepreneur roller coaster.’
The entrepreneur roller coaster refers to both the financial and emotional ups and downs that come with the territory.
To become a successful entrepreneur, you’ll need to focus on personal growth and development.
A bullet-proof mind set and creative, problem-solving psychology will be your most valuable resource on the journey towards becoming a successful entrepreneur.
You can learn the skills you need as you go, and you can focus on daily success habits that promote mental and emotional strength and resiliency.
Conclusion – Choose Your Hard
Becoming a successful entrepreneur is a process. There is a lot to learn, and it will be hard at times.
However, it’s a different type of ‘hard.’
This type of hard is ten million times easier than the hardships of being an employee, such as: getting 1-2 weeks of vacation a year, not making what you’re worth, working to build someone else’s dreams, etc.
My absolute favorite quote of all time is from Motivational Speaker Les Brown.
Do what is easy and your life will be hard. Do what is hard and your life will become easy.”
I’ve put together a list of some resources that can help you begin your journey towards making the shift from employee to successful entrepreneur.
The following books can help you in extraordinary ways:
- The Entrepreneur Roller Coaster: Why Now Is The Time To #JoinTheRide
- Master Your Time, Master Your Life: The Breakthrough System to Get More Results, Faster, in Every Area of your Life
- The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal
I also have a limited-time offer right now that you might benefit from. I charge $250 an hour for my Professional Business Consulting Services, but for a limited time, I’m offering motivated individuals a Free 45-Minute Consultation Session.
During this session, I will ask you a series of questions, and based on your answers, I will help you come up with a Custom Strategic Plan which will get you on the right path.